Nov 17, 2011

Book Review: Flesh and Blood by Kristen Painter

Flesh and Blood by Kristen Painter
(House of Comarré, #2)
Release Date: November 1, 2011
Publisher: Orbit Books; 402 pages
Those born into the comarré life produced blood in rich, pure, powerful abundance...

With the Ring of Sorrows still missing, and the covenant between othernaturals and mortals broken, Chrysabelle and Malkolm’s problems are just beginning. Chrysabelle still owes Malkolm for his help, but fulfilling that debt means returning to Corvinestri, the hidden vampire city where neither is welcome.

This is the second book in the House of Comarré series and its a great follow up. We continue the story a few weeks after BLOOD RIGHTS ends and if you're a fan of the first book, you're dying to know how Chrysabelle, Malkolm, Dominic, Doc and even the evil Tatiana are managing since we last saw them.

Some books you end up actually like the villian and some books you just down right hate them & wish nothing more than their demise. Tatiana falls into the latter category. I knew she was evil in BLOOD RIGHTS but I was curious about her but after seeing what she did in that book I would rather see her turn into a nice, lovely pile of ash. She has no second thoughts about using people to help get what she needs and the second she get gets what she needs (or is betrayed by said help), she eliminates them. A being such as Tatiana has no soul, no heart, no conscience; that makes her dangerous.

Mal and Chrysabelle - they make the oddest pairing but they work . . . if only they would realize this. Mal is a vampire who has been cursed; if he ever drinks from a vein he kills his 'food' and will be haunted by their voice in his head as well as their name tattooed on his body. Chrysabelle is from a noble vampire home where she served as her patron's comarré - a human raised to provide their blood to the noble vampire families. The tension, the confusion between them makes for a great story. They make it apparent they have feelings for each other but neither are brave enough to admit their feelings for the other...or are they?

We're introduced to a new, attractive human guy named Creek. He's sexy, like really sexy but I still can't find myself to like him. Well maybe that's a lie. I do like him...when he's alone. I don't like him when he tries going after Chrysabelle's attention. Sorry. I'm so in love with Mal & Chrysabelle that Creek wanting her bothers me to no end. I just want to shove my arm into the story and slap him one. But he's important to the story and important in protecting Chrysabelle, along with Malkolm. Which, as you can probably guess, makes for some really awkward situations. Two guys who are interested in the same girl, one of which is actually in love with her. triangles. Frustrating as they might be...I secretly love them. But Creek is important...and he's not exactly human either...but I won't spoil that surprise for you :)

Now, for Doc. I love him, I really do. You felt his pain in this book, you admired his struggle and you held your breath when you thought it might all be over for him. One thing I admire about him, that I would admire in just about anybody is when he wants something, there is nothing that can stop him from getting what he wants. And what he wants is Fionna, the woman he loves, back. He deserves a hug.

Dominic. He's a tricky character for me. I don't trust him 75% of the time the other 25% I'm trying to find out exactly what's in it for him. Even after two books with him in it, I'm not sure how I feel about him. I want to like him, a lot - I do, but there's something about him that stops me. I can't quite put my finger on it yet. I'll just have to keep reading ;)

I recommend this book. Obviously, only after you've read BLOOD RIGHTS but I highly recommended that book and why start a series and not finish it? Right? Right. It's an amazing follow up to BLOOD RIGHTS but it doesn't quite reach the same level. It's close...super close. Close enough that I'm super excited to read the next book, BAD BLOOD. This series doesn't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...